Patricia Johnson Au. D., Elk Grove Village, Illinois (USA)
“Electronic hearing protection: Innovative solutions for complex hearing protection needs”
Hunters, craftsmen, law enforcement officers, and musicians need to hear soft sounds, but also need protection from sudden impacts and continuous loud sounds. Passive hearing protection attenuates soft and loud sounds equally, whereas active (electronic) hearing protection can automatically adapt to the input level and provide protection only as needed, allowing quiet sounds to pass through clearly.
In this presentation, I will describe how electronic earplugs can provide for optimum listening and hearing protection in the same device. Attendees will learn:
1) how electronic hearing protection works;
2) how impact protection is achieved; and
3) which protector to choose;
4) how to fit and care for electronic earplugs; and
5) proper patient counselling.